Friday, March 25, 2011

Fantastic parenting.

There are expectations we all have when it comes to parenting.  For some, it is about passing on traditions, maybe interests or talents, good behavior or chill attitudes.  In our house, it is all about teaching them how to appreciate good music and movies(among other important things).

This last month, what with the self-quarantining and such, we introduced our children properly to the “Indiana Jones” trilogy. 

(We haven’t yet tried on the Crystal Skull deal yet, we’ll have to wait and see on that one..)

We initially got the usual looks (disgust and pain) from the girls with this being something that is new to them, but within five minutes of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” they were hooked. 

During “Temple of Doom” we had to hold back the laughter.  Ash insisted on sitting on the other couch and the opposite end at that, and just watching her squirm during all the bug parts was entertainment enough! 

One of my favorite moments, during “The Last Crusade” came when Ilsa (the Nazi chick as we usually refer to her) was kissing Indiana.  We had tried our best to explain to the girls the politics of the situation, so they were somewhat informed as to what a Nazi was..  Lynn turns to us in shock/disgust and exclaims: “He’s kissing a Nazi!?!?!”

We find it part of our parental duty to show these classics to our children.  We could be judged, and judged harshly if we didn’t, people.

After the success with Indiana, we showed them the “Star Wars” trilogy.

(We haven’t had the need to torture them yet by showing them the prequels.)

Lynn was ecstatic to see that Indiana Jones was still working!

(Ha!!)

They loved those too, but most disturbing, loved the “dark side” a bit too much.  Love for the Ewoks helped me to feel okay again about them later.

(That “dark side” is a treacherous thing!)

Now I have the desire to find them all vintage Star Wars shirts.  Wishing that we still had all of our old Star Wars toys..  especially the Millennium Falcon.

(I know I am not alone in this, am I siblings?)

Along with these great, and most important of teachings for my offspring, there is also the teaching of how to fully appreciate Cadbury Creme eggs. 

And Jet Puff Marshmallow Creme.

Hey, it is just being a responsible parent.

4 comments:

BookwormMom said...

We are all about the dark side at our house...

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

Luke loves the fact that the main hero in Star wars, was named after him. He loves those movies! I have yet try Indiana on any of my kids, might have to give a try..I remember squirming when the guys try's to take Indy's heart! :)

Jocelyn said...

Yup, those are classics around these parts too. My kids love all those "old" movies! What kind of parents would we be if we didn't share these treasures and treats with our little ones:-)

Bonnie said...

Grandma bought me a Princess Leia shirt at the Cinedome for Return of the Jedi. Her friend who worked at the candy counter watched me for a bit while everyone else was in the movie, because I was only 3. She kept hugging me and I thought she was a weird lady but she gave me Starburst so it was all good.