Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Compassion, pre-school style.

I realized, typing the title, that Peyton is officially classified as a “pre-schooler” now.  Not that she is in pre-school..  but she is no longer a toddler.

(Sniff..)

She has been learning to be quite the compassionate soul, and that development makes this mother heart smile.

I mentioned previously that we have been introducing our children to the best things life has to offer.

(“Star Wars”,  “Indiana Jones”, marshmallow creme, and cadbury eggs..  many other good things belong here.)

Peyton asked one day to watch a Darth Vader “oooo-vie”.  The way she described it to me went something like this:

“I want to watch the Darth Vader oooo-vie when Luke Skywalker takes off Darth Vader’s mask and you see all of his owies…  how did Darth Vader get owies mom?”

I told her how he got them, to the best of my knowledge, as I have not seen that particular prequel in it’s entirety.  Something about lava and limbs being cut off, yada-yada-yada..

She responded with a sympathetic hand to her chest, “Oh!  Poooor Darth Vader…”

A similar thing was said later on, when my friend, Julie, called me, asking me about her son’s symptoms.  They sounded strangely familiar to Peyton’s recent ear infection, and he wasn’t presenting a fever.  After I got off the phone with her, Peyton paused between bites of her Lucky Charms long enough to ask who it was.  I explained that it was Julie, and told her what the situation was.

“Zach has an ear infection and Julie needs to take him to the doctor.  Remember when your ear hurt and you had an ear infection and we took you to the doctor?”

Hand to her chest, sad look on her little face, “Ohhhhh..  poor Zach!  I hope the doctor makes his ear better.”

It’s pretty sweet, seeing that she gets it.

6 comments:

Maecy said...

What a cutie! I'm with her though. Darth Vader's owies are like a train wreck you can't look away from. It's just so suspenseful wondering what's under that mask!

Julie said...

What a sweet girl. You must be setting a great example.

Bonnie said...

That is just so sweet! Empathy in the little ones is beautiful!

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

that is the sweetest thing!!

anniebobannie said...

She is such a lovie!!!

Jocelyn said...

That is absolutely adorable! I love how you share all of it with us...I wish I had been so good at documenting my kids when they were small.