Saturday, November 14, 2009

Commercial lessons..

Believe it or not, I have learned a thing or two from the TV.
Really.
Most of the time it is from the Discovery Channel, or the History Channel, or my new favorite, Dr. OZ..  sometimes it's from PBS kids.
The other day, I learned something from a commercial.
Yeah, I get it there too sometimes.
It wasn't the type of commercial one would normally associate gleaning knowledge from.
It was a Subaru commercial.
One line just stood out to me, and spoke to me and where I am in my life right now.
"Love the road you are on."
Now that might not sound as profound to you as it does for me..  but it is.
I think about where I am on my "road", and it isn't where I thought I would be, but I need to love where I am.
This time of the year brings many fond memories bubbling to the surface of my mind.
This was the time of year Merrill and I were engaged.  We really started to plan a wedding..  we weren't just dreaming anymore.  That excitement, that newness, isn't like it was then, we still have it, ten years later, and it isn't the same..  it is better, and I love it.
Home improvement projects (that we won't have for years to come..) were always going on this time of year. It was when work slowed down enough for Merrill that we could work on the large ones together, that the tax return multiplied that little bit in our savings account making it worth spending.  The smell of paint and the chop saw cutting through the flooring we lay..  they have painted over my "spiced cider" wall.. by the way.. 
This is the same time I was preparing to bring my first baby into the world.  The new life that brought into our home, the different spirit, the new way of life..  I treasure those memories.
It is also the same time of the year we brought our second baby home with us..  we were a little family of four.
There is something about the smells, the cozy warmth of our home this time of the year that leaves me longing for those days to be re-lived.
I long for another baby.
But I am here.
I am happy.
I have a very active, healthy, fun little family.  I do love life, but sometimes a smell or song will trigger a memory..  an article of clothing even.  Then I have to remind myself to love the road I am on. 
I cannot spend my days longing for what isn't, and might never be in this life.
I need to love the road I am on.
If we hadn't moved, I would be telling myself the same thing, but in a different way..
I think of so many that I know and love, who wish, who long for more, and I think of this simple commercial, that didn't make me want to go out and buy a new car, but made me think about my life, how I need to love where I am.
I will tell you, I do love where I am today...


7 comments:

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

I needed to read this today! I really needed to hear that I should love this road I am currently on, instead of looking for one that might not ever happen. Thank you Mindy for your beautiful insight!

Annie said...

That is a good saying:) It reminds me of the one my President Monson, "Find joy in the journey, now."

Sometimes I find myself looking forward to a time in the future and not realizing what a wonderful moment I am in the now. I agree with you "I love where I am today".

Ally's Corner said...

Alana loves to watch Dr.Oz and Rachel Ray.
That is a great saying and we all should be happy were we are.

Ally

Tiffany said...

Well said! And a perfect thought for these times.

Amber said...

I needed this, as well. I have been feeling a bit down because of the road I'm on. I am not where I thought I'd be when I was 18 (which was married with a few kids), I am not where I thought I'd be when I was 21 (which was teaching high school theater, married and with kids on the way), and I am not where I thought I'd be at 24 (which was working as a successful pastry chef). I am not even where I thought I'd be when Branden and I got engaged. Some things are better- LOVING St. Louis- but some things are much worse... I really thought we'd be financially stable by now.

It's time to start loving the road I'm on. Thank you.

Julie said...

Look, there are good things on t.v. Thanks for sharing what you have found. It is very profound. I too, love where I am, but sometimes long for things to be "the way they were" or something new down the road. However, if I just take the time to enjoy each moment in my life now, I'll find I have a lot to be grateful for.

Bonnie said...

What a great post! I like you girl, think we should be friends. Oh yeah, we're family. Even better!