Monday, May 19, 2008

Chain Reaction...

So today, I decided I would tear the bathroom apart, and re-do it. I have had all of the supplies lying in wait, ready to go. The stress I have been feeling is fuel... anyone want their house re-modeled???
It all began when the drain cover, you know, the little thingie that goes up and down to stop-up the sink, broke off. We tried to jimmy-rig it, to no avail. So if I wanted to fix that, I needed to take down the mirror, it hung over too far, I couldn't take the faucet off to fix the sink thing. Now if I were going to go about all that trouble to take down the mirror, then I was surely going to paint, and if I were going to paint, I might as well replace the light fixture and the switch and outlet, not to mention finding a better solution for hanging the girls' towels...
Of course, it wouldn't be a project at our house without a few additions, obstacles one might say, to the project...
Take for example the fact that I forgot there used to be wallpaper in this bathroom... Here's my reminder:Some still behind this gargantuan mirror. Asta-la-pasta mirror.
The sink gave me problems...
The mirror left a huge almost torn out piece of sheet rock that needed to be patched.
So I have spackle drying, no power to the bathroom, and no light anyway... so no usable sink, unless you call a big hole in the counter with no running water a sink...
Tomorrow...
Oh, I almost forgot the biggest event of our evening... after Merrill helped me to resolve the sink issue, he went up to the roof to so kindly get the swamper going...
A little history:
Last year, the day before Mother's Day to be exact, Merrill went to do the same lovely thing for me. I am sure that I was pregnant then, but lost the pregnancy soon after, I was feeling so sick... it was miserable. I was sick and hot. So before taking the girls out to give me some rest, Merrill set out to get the swamper going. He went and uncovered it, yelled down to me to turn the water on... the water tubing goes from our basement, through the walls, up to the attic (more like a crawl space in my ceiling), through the roof, to the pump in the swamp cooler... there was a break in the line, we had a rain storm in our bathroom and basement. Nice.
My dear sweet brother Joe, fixed it for us. We have been kissing his feet ever since.
Fast-forward to today...
Same scenario, well except that I AM NOT PREGNANT, nor sick, but hot. I go and turn on the water, and listen. Nothing, but what I am supposed to hear. I keep listening.... still, nothing... then a few minutes later, I hear a little trickle. Not raining in the bathroom, not in the basement... ummmm... Peyton's room this time. Needless to say, the light in the ceiling turned into a sprinkler... and the basement ceiling began to leak. As Lynn put it, "It's like a pinata without the candy..."
So, no swamp cooler, another hot and uncomfortable night with little sleep, lots of heated tossing though... just not the kind I want ;) At least we can all use our sense of humor in this...
Ha Ha Ha... (sarcastic...)
And Peyton's light is still dripping... drip...drip...drip...

5 comments:

Dani and Tom said...

Ok Chica, I'm calling you tomorrow...we have got to plan something and soon...talk to you later...p.s. You are my hero, remodeling without a hubby home with a 3 month old baby? You are crazy!!!

BookwormMom said...

You poor thing....It's supposed to get cooler at the end of the week, then maybe you can get things fixed and taken care of!!!

stacy said...

you can definatly tell that it is spring when all of us crazy nuts try to do fix-it projects. I am right there with you min...painting bathroom and kitchen cabniets. getting new countertops hopefully soon! Hey i heard that you have been making some cute hair bows...bekkie saw someone at church whose little girl had some in her hair, the mom said you showed her how or maybe you did them for her i don't know. but i want to make some or have you show me. ky is getting low on the hair supply front! please call me!

Ally0005 said...

To bad we don't live close, Dh could have come over and helped you with most of it.
I'm impressed you doing it your self, you go girl.

jaclyn said...

no fear.. joe's coming over tonight!