Saturday, November 24, 2007


The cake is done! A five year-old birthday, pretty much over. I'm kinda depressed. She's not supposed to be this old!

Last night was interesting. I ended up throwing the cake away, after Lynn coughed all over it, and it didn't look right anyway. I got the girls all ready for bed, meds and all, and sat and told Lynn all about the day she was born. I got ready for bed, and went to check on Ash, she had a pretty high fever, a little over 102. She had kicked all her covers off, and pulled up her nightgown around her armpits. She was sleeping like that. So I decided to take her temperature. 103.7! I was a little freaked. Merrill told me to give it a few, maybe she just got too hot. So I waited, went and checked again and it was 100.9. I fell asleep. Woke up around 2 to give her another dose of Tylenol, trying to keep this fever in check. A little after three, the weirdest thing happened, I was woken-up by the sound of candy falling off of the gingerbread house in the dining room. I got up to see if one of the girls were up. Ash was flushed. I checked her temperature, again, 103.9. I had just given her the Tylenol! I decided to go to Wal-Mart, one of those again, to get Motrin for her (I also bought more cake mixes:)). I got worried though. I had dosed her last at 2 and wanted to be sure it was safe to give her the Motrin so soon. I haven't had sick kids like this ever, but I knew to break a fever, I should alternate between the two meds. I just wasn't sure how soon I could give her the Motrin. So I did my own internet research. I thought to call Jen, from the ward, but I thought not to bug her. I wish I had. Everything I found said to not give them Motrin until it would be time to re-dose with the Tylenol. There went my plan to ease my worries. I took her temperature again. Still almost 104. I waited about ten minutes, hoping it would go down like it had before, and took it again, and then I did that about two more times. I couldn't sleep. Then all of the sudden I had a "duh" moment. What do I teach the girls? What do I teach the primary kids? When you have a problem and need help, PRAY. I did. I let myself relax for just a minute, it is hard to get up out of bed, and I went and took her temperature again. 100.9. I slept. I feel so dumb that I didn't think to pray in the first place, that I thought I could take care of it on my own! Let's hope that I was not too tired to forget this lesson!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hey Mindy! What a week you had! I must say, I have been in your shoes and I know what it's like! Sick kids, horrible coughs, treatments, and lots of meds. Katie was sick over Thanksgiving too with a bad cold and cough. Not fun! I love reading your blog. It makes me miss you! You are so awesome. Jenny